[dsgnwrks_instagram_embed src=”https://www.instagram.com/p/BezU03sgeSu/” type=”video”]
Caption: Are you a Pegan?
Whether you are vegan, or paleo or just believe in eating healthy, we can all agree we should be eating whole foods and avoiding processed foods, sugars, refined oils, food additives or foods laden with antibiotics, hormones or pesticides. What I jokingly call the Pegan Diet (poking fun at the extremes of paleo and vegan) combines the best principles from several eating plans to optimize what foods you choose to eat. These principles include a healthy diet with the following characteristics:
1. Very low glycemic load – low in sugar, flour and refined carbohydrates of all kinds.
2. High in vegetables and fruits. The deeper the colors, the more variety, the better. This provides a high phytonutrient content protective against most diseases. (Although the paleo camp recommends lower glycemic fruit such as berries.)
3. Low in pesticides, antibiotics and hormones and probably no or low GMO foods.
4. No chemicals, additives, preservatives, dyes, MSG, artificial sweeteners and other “Franken Chemicals” that you would never have in your pantry.
5. Higher in good quality fats – omega 3 fats for all. And most camps advise good quality fats from olive oil, nuts, seeds and avocados.
6. Adequate protein for appetite control and muscle synthesis, especially in the elderly.
7. Ideally organic, local and fresh foods should be the majority of your diet.
8. If animal products are consumed they should be sustainably raised or grass fed.
9. If you are eating fish you should choose low mercury6 and low toxin containing fish such as sardines, herring and anchovies or other small fish and avoid tuna, swordfish and Chilean sea bass because of the high mercury load.
With my new book, “Food: What the Heck Should I Eat?” I want to help you undo all the beliefs about food that are making you fat and sick and replace them with a new understanding that will lead to health and longevity.
#pegan #healthyfood #smoothie #rainbowfood #glutenfree #dairyfree #getwildfit #livingwildfit #alkagizer #greensmoothielife #greensmoothie #plantbased #thehumandiet #evolutionarydiet #vegan #plantbased #sugarfree #ahealthynut #eatrealfood #eattherainbow #eatclean