Hola! I'm Ixchel Lunar
I’m a ✨Decolonial Time Witch✨ founder of Initiated Leaders Fellowship, an Indigenous WebDeva (25+ years) and author of Buzzing Blooms for Bees.
Weaving Anti-Racist Feminist business (this is NOT white woman feminism) and initiated leadership strategies alongside neuroscience to help Edgewalkers decolonize and reclaim your time†, skip the burnout and liberate your Flow…
Flow Rituals So We Can Thrive with a Planet in Transition.
*Our JEDIs are working at the intersection of Justice-centering, Emerging, Decolonizing, and Interconnecting to create the POST-Hegemonic Culture (cis + heteronormative, imperialist, white supremacist, capitalist patriarchy — h/t bell hooks + Laverne Cox), connected in a global ecosystem of planet-centered businesses, politics, and NGOs/non-profits.† Thank you Rep. Maxine Waters for teaching us to Reclaim our time.
“Body and soul, I am more of a battlefield than a human being.”
My first twenty years I learned it wasn’t safe to be seen as I fought to survive in a world where I felt I wasn’t invited and didn’t belong.
“Every blade of grass has its Angel that bends over it and whispers, Grow, Grow.”
— The Talmud
Yet through conscious daily practice in the company of many angels in differing forms over the last thirty-five years I discovered strength in surrounding myself with the community of others (including people, plants and pollinators) that helped me feel a sense of belonging — re-membering how to feel safe in my skin and embedded in the natural world while being ok with the discomfort of dismantling systems on the daily.
I know all too well what it means to fly too close to the sun and crash because of it:
I come to our work together from the intersection of on-the-ground organizing and political work; from deep training in ancestral spiritual practices and plant medicine; and from 35+ years of consciousness exploration.
“Wake up! If you are sleeping, wake up!”
— Don Alejando Wakatel Utiw
Grand Elder of the Mayan Nations
For nearly 3 decades I’ve committed myself to social justice work, organizing for communities of culture and serving in local politics.
- I was the first Latine Vice-Mayor of my city, I learned to become comfortable being a first and only in the room, taking the opportunity to hold the door for more BIPOC leaders to enter.
- With decades of tech experience as a web deva and political activist and organizer, I co-founded the Tech and Telecomm Committee for my city.
- Between 2009-2013 I was appointed to serve on two San Francisco Bay Area government boards where I enacted progressive social and environmental policy for approximately 11 million people, including shifting stigma to sway my colleagues on the Board of Directors to fund the suicide net for the Golden Gate Bridge.
- In 2011-12, I even ran for congress.
I know what happens when we go go go and I know what’s possible when we take 15 minutes a day (or less!) to breathe, pause and reflect.
Here’s what all of this means for you:
I have developed a keen sense of centering justice, emergence, decolonizing, interconnectedness. I view the world, our bodies and our Work as emergent as we create new, just ways of thriving. I can help you dance with the cycles and flow in your life, helping you deepen your leadership capacities from this space of integration and interconnectedness too.
“We are the ones we’ve been waiting for.”
— Alice Walker quoting June Jordan
A little more about me…
- I was raised and bore children on the the traditional, unceded and stolen lands of the Coast and Central Valley Miwok (colonized as Petaluma, CA) and Nisenan (colonized as Sacramento and Fair Oaks, CA), past, present and future. I also write, work and live in the highland jungle, the traditional, unceded and stolen lands of the Matagalpa, past present and future, in what is known as Matagalpa, Nicaragua.
- I also hold a Masters degree in Philosophy, Cosmology and Consciousness from the California Institute of Integral Studies (with a focus on Integral Ecology) and a B.A. in Gender + Women Studies from Mills College, and a Permaculture Design Certificate. PLUS, I am Fellow of the Leadership Institute for Just and Resilient Communities.
- I’m a permaculturalist, I love growing herbs and plant dyes for the bees and butterflies (I wrote book on it), and making alchemical herbal medicines.
- I like to spin yarn, and avidly collect indigenous textiles. I ran an ethical pashmina business in Nepal.
- My Spanish is terrible, and French is a lingering memory, thanks to my parents assimilation. But I speak several coding languages and Astrology and I’m learning my Indigenous ancestors languages, K’iche Mayan and Runasimi (Quechua).
- At a mighty 4’10”, I’m a light-skinned, Mestiza Indigiqueer (Mayan, French and Scottish), vision-impaired and neuro-distinct woman. As a survivor of significant childhood trauma, (ACE-Q score is 10+6), my life’s work is infused with JEDI activism (Justice-centering, Emergence, Decolonizing, Interconnecting).
All that to say…
I weave together Anti-Racist Feminist business practices (this is NOT white woman feminism), initiated leadership strategies and the best of neuroscience together to help Edgewalkers like you decolonize and reclaim your time, skip the burnout and liberate your Flow.
This dyadic process isn’t prescriptive. You’re not learning what worked for me. Cultivate your rituals around how Flow works for you, your cycles, your biology, while unlearning the colonial systems that disrupt your natural states of being. Why? Because Biology scales (h/t Steven Kotler).
And when your biology scales…so does your impact.
My Astro Deets:
Sun Jupiter, Mercury, Neptune Sagittarius (9H)
• New Moon on Midheaven in Capricorn
• Rising and Chiron in Aires, Mars in Pisces in 12H
• North Node in Aquarius
• Mayan Cosmovision:
• Enneagram 5w4 (The Iconoclast)
• ENFP-A (Inspiring Advocate)
• Manifesting Generator, 4/1 with Sacral Authority (Strategy to Respond, Ask me anything!)
• Kolbe 3-3-8-5 (in the labyrinth of life I can tesseract)
• Love of Learning
• Appreciation of Beauty
• Problem Solver
• Acts of Service
• Words of Affirmation
Work In Progress
• IQ: 156
• EQ: 129
• ACE-Q: 10+6
• PCE: 5
• Time Quintet (series) by Madeleine L’Engle
• The Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda
• The Teachings of Don Juan; a Separate Reality; Journey to Ixtlan by Carlos Castaneda
• A Feeling for the Organism: The Life and Work of Barbara McClintock by Evelyn Fox Keller
• I, Rigoberta Menchu: An Indian Woman in Guatemala by Rigoberta Menchú
• The Heart of the Buddha’s Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation by Thích Nhất Hạnh
• Mutual causality in Buddhism and general systems theory : the dharma of natural systems by Joanna Macy
• The Tibetan Book of the Dead: Liberation Through Understanding in the Between by Robert Thurman
• Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
• Jump Time: Shaping Your Future in a World of Radical Change by Jean Houston
• Emergent Strategy: Shaping Change, Changing Worlds by adreinne maree brown
• The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom by Don Miguel Ruiz
• The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream by Paulo Coelho
• Gwinna by Barbara Helen Berger
• Caps for Sale: A Tale of a Peddler, Some Monkeys, and Their Monkey Business by Esphyr Slobodkina
• Why Can’t I Fly? by Rita Golden Gelman
from the Edge
from the Wild
from the Other Side
to your inbox
Your email is safe with Ixchel. We can’t stand spam either. You are consenting to receive occasional Dragon Letters with writings and invites to work with her. xoxo